Sunday 4 January 2009

Where are the cricket experts?

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the silence of cricket experts on the Pietersen v Moores rift in the England team.

The coverage in the newspapers so far has been led by journalists. That's fine - I'm sure they are good reporters. And it's the prerogative of editors to determine who writes about what.

But most of the top cricket journalists are former players. And given the intimacy of cricket tours (and the way that cricketers tend to stay together after retirement) many of them really do know the ins and outs of the dressing room dynamics. Therefore, I really want to hear from Michael Atherton, Derek Pringle, Nasser Hussain or (even) Sir Ian Botham. I can't find a word written by any of them on the affair.

I think blogging has played a part in shaping my expectations in this way. It's unusual to look to the by-line of a news article to see who's written it unless you are an insider. In this story, I know which sort of reporter is closest to the players and I want to hear from them. Now. Unfortunately the limited blogs from cricket journalists are really just reporting with comments on the BBC. They're not really blogs at all, or they could dominate the share of voice in this unfolding story.

No comments:

 
Business Haabaa Free Website Directory
Human edited search engine friendly web directory, add your site free!